what is sticky rice
Sticky rice or Glutinous rice is Oryza sativa var. glutinosa is a type of rice. From KBBI pulut rice, when cooked it usually becomes sticky or stick, so it called glutinous rice or sticky rice. In the Philippines, glutinous rice is known as malagkit (meaning “legit” in Tagalog, derived from Malay sticky). In Chinese, glutinous rice is known as nuòmǐ (糯米) or chu̍t-bí (秫米) in Hokkien.
sticky rice tape recipe
My sticky rice tape is finally harvested.
Totally up to expectations. Sweet, soft, lots of water. Even without sugar in its manufacture. Here I write again the recipe. I used half the recipe from the one below. So all my ingredients for two.
Recipe By : Danar We
Recook By Ismy Maulidasary
- 1 kg of glutinous rice
- 3 grains of tape yeast
- 750 ml of boiling water
How to make sticky rice tape
- Wash the glutinous rice thoroughly.
- Soak the glutinous rice for about 2 hours.
- After that drain, while we prepare the pan to steam the sticky rice.
- Enter the glutinous rice when the water in the steam is boiling, so that it cooks evenly, then cover.
- Steam for 5-7 minutes. If the rice has started to stick or in pairs it is enough.
- Then prepare boiling water and a heat-resistant container.
- Remove the sticky rice, then transfer the sticky rice to a heat-resistant container.
- Pour boiling water little by little, stir gently until evenly distributed.
- Check the remaining water in the steamer pot, add water if the water is slightly reduced, so it doesn’t burn.
- Steam the glutinous rice that has been doused in boiling water for 10-15 minutes.
- Then remove the cooked sticky rice, flatten it on a flat container, line it with banana leaves. Try to flatten the sticky rice as thin as possible so that it cools quickly.
- After that, soften the tape yeast, try not to touch the skin of the hands.
- After the sticky rice is cold, sprinkle the yeast on the sticky rice until evenly distributed. Make sure the sticky rice is really cold. If it’s still warm, wait a little longer.
- After the fermentation process, pack according to taste. Let the prospective tape meditate for at least 48 hours in a dark and airtight place (fermentation).
- After 48-60 hours, the tape must be put in the refrigerator so it doesn’t overcook.
There are several ways to give coloring, please try the easiest.
- Mix a few drops of paste/food coloring in boiling water for a splash on the sticky rice after the sticky rice sticks together.
- Mix suji leaf juice or fragrant pandan in boiling water for a splash of sticky rice. Make sure that if you use this method, it must be in accordance with the dose of water and leaf juice. Customized glutinous water needs.
- If you are not sure which yeast to use, you can dry the yeast for a while when the sun is shining.
- If you don’t have a scale, you can use a glass (the size of a starfruit glass). With a ratio of 2 cups of sticky rice, one glass of water and ± one piece of yeast.
Hope it inspires