An egg roll is a popular Chinese-American dish that typically consists of a mixture of chopped vegetables (such as cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts), diced meat (such as pork or chicken), and sometimes shrimp or other seafood, all rolled up in a thin wheat flour wrapper and deep-fried until crispy. The filling is typically seasoned with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and other spices. Egg rolls are often served as an appetizer or snack and are often accompanied by sweet and sour sauce or other dipping sauces.
However, it’s worth noting that egg rolls are often deep-fried, which can add a significant amount of calories and unhealthy fats to the dish. If you’re looking for a healthier option, you can try baking or air-frying the egg rolls instead of deep-frying them.
Additionally, you can experiment with different fillings to make your egg rolls more interesting and flavorful. For example, you can add mushrooms, tofu, or different types of herbs and spices to the filling mixture. You can also try serving the egg rolls with a variety of dipping sauces, such as sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, or peanut sauce, to add more flavor and complexity to the dish.
Yes, egg rolls can make a great snack option! They are usually served as appetizers in Chinese restaurants and can be enjoyed as a snack at home too. They are easy to prepare and can be made in advance and reheated later.
To make egg rolls as a snack, you can follow the basic recipe which involves filling the egg roll wrappers with a mixture of chopped vegetables, diced meat, and seasoning, and then deep-frying until crispy. You can also experiment with different fillings, such as using only vegetables or substituting the meat with tofu or shrimp.
To make them healthier, you can consider baking or air-frying them instead of deep-frying, and using healthier oils such as avocado or coconut oil. You can also serve them with a side of fresh vegetables or fruit to add more fiber and nutrients to your snack. Lastly, be mindful of portion sizes as egg rolls can be quite calorie-dense if eaten in large quantities.
simple recipe for making egg rolls at home
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup of finely chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of cooked and diced chicken, pork, or shrimp (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced ginger
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, onion, and meat (if using).
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger to the bowl and mix well.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with one corner pointing towards you.
- Spoon about 1-2 tablespoons of the filling mixture onto the center of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper over the filling, then fold the sides towards the center and roll tightly.
- Seal the edges with a bit of water.
- Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling mixture.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or a deep fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Fry the egg rolls in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
You can also bake or air fry the egg rolls instead of frying them for a healthier option. Simply brush the egg rolls with oil and bake at 400°F (200°C) for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
Why do they call it an egg roll?
Most assume the name came from a dish published in a 1917 Chinese American Cookbook called “Dan Gun,” which translates to “Egg Roll.”
What is the difference between a spring roll and an egg roll?
As far as the difference in fillings, egg rolls are typically filled with cooked cabbage, some other vegetables, and pork, while spring rolls typically contain only cooked vegetables. But like any generalization for food so beloved worldwide, you’re sure to find exceptions if you look hard enough.
Are egg rolls good for you?
They’re wrapped in dough and deep-fried. The result is an appetizer that packs more than 220 calories and 10 grams of fat in each one. And that doesn’t include the sweet dipping sauce.
what is egg roll and simple recip - greaTRecipeS
popular Chinese-American dish that typically consists of a mixture of chopped vegetables, meat and seafood, all rolled up in a thin wheat flour wrapper and deep-fried until crispy.