Permission to share one of the traditional Bugis cake recipes, namely Bolu Cukke / Brown sugar sponge. Bolu cukke is very well known among the Bugis, so this cake is often used as a gift when traveling outside the region. The recipe is as follows:
- 5 large eggs
- 250 gr brown sugar (fine comb)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- tsp vanilla powder/liquid vanilla
- 280 gr rice flour mixed with wheat flour (The ratio is 50:50, the flour is roasted first and then weighed)
- 50 ml cooking oil
Results 45 balls
How to make bugis Sponge Cukke
- Prepare a container, add eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, vanilla then mix on medium speed.
- After the sugar has started to dissolve, increase the mixer speed to the highest, mixer until the dough expands.
- When it has risen, add the flour and mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Add the cooking oil and stir again until well blended, making sure there is no more oil that settles at the bottom of the dough.
- Prepare a baking sheet, grease it with oil then heat it in the oven
- After the pan is hot, remove it from the oven then pour the mixture into the pan with the help of a spoon. Before pouring, the dough is stirred first.
- Bake the cake on the top rack over high heat.
- If the oven heats up unevenly, rotate the sponge occasionally so that it cooks evenly.
- Bake for about 10 minutes over medium heat or until the surface is dry
If you are still confused in the process of making it, you can see the tutorial here: