A Kenyan travel advisory has been cancelled following the discovery of a new Ebola case at the country’s western border with Guinea.
Key points:The announcement was made in a briefing at the Ministry of Foreign AffairsThe Ministry said it had no reason to cancel the travel advisoryThe ministry said the new case was not from KenyaThe Ministry of Health said it was not aware of any cases in the country that could have caused this “complex” responseThe Ministry also said it did not have any reason to delay the travel warning until further notice.
The announcement came in a brief briefing at midday local time (14:00 GMT) from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
It said the Ministry was “comfortable” with the new decision to cancel a travel advisory because it was in line with the “safeguards” in place.
“We are not aware that there is any new cases in Kenya, and we don’t anticipate any cases to appear in the foreseeable future,” the ministry said in a statement.
“So far there are no new cases, but we will monitor the situation.”
It said it would review the circumstances surrounding the new confirmed case, as well as any other possible cases.
The ministry was “confident that the Ebola virus is no longer active in the Kenyan country”, it said.
“It is imperative that we take all necessary measures to protect the public from the threat of the virus.”‘
No need for delay’Kenya has been hit by the most recent case of Ebola in its capital, Nairobi, where a man who arrived from Guinea arrived on Tuesday.
The man died in hospital on Wednesday, the health ministry said.
He was the first person diagnosed with the virus in Kenya and the second confirmed case in the African nation.
The country has had more than 1,600 cases of Ebola and almost 1,200 deaths.
More than 5,000 people have been tested for the virus, but there have been no new infections.
Kenya’s last confirmed case was in January, when a man contracted the virus while working as a nurse in a hospital.